A Dufaycolor colour transparency, taken by an unknown photographer in 1945. The Mall is decorated with the flags of the Allied Powers, part of the celebrations to mark VE (Victory in Europe) Day and the end of World WarTwo in Europe. The Dufaycolor process was introduced as cine film in 1932 and as rollfilm for still photography in 1935. Based on Frenchman Louis Dufay's (1874-1936) Dioptichrome process of 1908, it was the last 'additive' colour process to be marketed. Dufaycolor consisted of a very fine, regular filter screen made up of red, green and blue lines printed on a film base. The process was popular with both amateur and professional photographers and survived until the 1950s.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library