Chemist working in a laboratory, 1949.
© NMeM / Photographic Advertising / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph taken by Photographic Advertising Limited in 1949. This photograph was used in a chemical trade magazine, for advertising denture material and in the Encyclopedia Britanica. Men featuring in the work of Photographic Advertising are usually professionals engaged in activity. Photographic Advertising Limited was founded in 1926 by a group experienced in photojournalism and film. The company created multi-purpose stock images with the potential for selling a range of products. Whilst enjoying its greatest success during the 1930s, it continued in business until 1977. Photographic Advertising Limited's trademark, the staged studio photograph resembling a film still, was its selling point and, later, its downfall.