Four men in the passenger cabin of a Supermarine 'Swan' flying-boat, c 1924.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Completed in 1924 as a reconnaisance flying-boat, this aircraft was later (1927) converted into a 10-seat passenger machine for use by Imperial Airways for cross-Channel services. The aircraft was powered by two 450 hp Napier 'Lion' IIB engines, and was noted for its ingeneous undercarriage retraction system, driven by a slipstream fan. Photograph taken from the Napier Archive at the Science Museum, London.