74 inch reflecting telescope, Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa, 1938.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph showing the construction of the observatory building and dome for the 74 inch reflecting telescope at the Radcliffe Observatory, Pretoria in South Africa. It was constructed by the company of Sir Howard Grubb, Parsons and Co in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England. Although it was ordered in 1935, the telescope was not finally finished until 1948 due to difficulties over the supply of pyrex glass for its mirror and the disruption of WW2 The telescope now resides at the Sutherland station of the South African Astronomical Observatory.