The Royal Observatory, Greenwich, London, 1914.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph showing the New Physical Observatory building at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich around 1914. The building, erected between 1894 and 1899, housed laboratories and the Thompson telescopes in the dome at the top of the building. Sir Henry Thompson, a distinguished surgeon and amateur astronomer, presented 30-inch photographic reflector and 26 inch refractor to the Observatory. Mounted together on a mounting made by Howard Grubb & Sons of Dublin in Ireland they were used for photographic work.