Photograph showing the 30 inch photographic reflector and 26 inch refractor mounted together at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich. Both these instruments were presented to the observatory by Sir Henry Thompson, a distinguished surgeon and amateur astronomer. They are carried on an equatorial mounting by Howard Grubb & Sons, Dublin in Ireland. The reflecting telescope used a glass mirror made by Dr A A Common while the refracting instrument uses lenses by the German maker G S Merz of Munich. The telescopes were installed in the New Physics Observatory in 1897 and used for photographic work.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library