New roof under construction, Paddington Station, London, 1910s.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
The main station at Paddington was built to the design of Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859) and Matthew Digby Wyatt as the terminus of Brunel's Great Western Railway (GWR). The station was completed in 1853, although a temporary station had been in use in the area from 1838 when the first section of the GWR opened. Paddington Station was substantially enlarged between 1906 and 1915.