Exhibits at the South Kensington Museum, London, 1876.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph showing the interior of the 'L ' Room at the South Kensington Museum, containing exhibits on the subjects of geography and meteorology. The South Kensington Museum began in 1852 as the Museum of Manufacturers at Marlborough House. It originally contained a nucleus of contemporary objects of applied art bought from the Great Exhibition of 1851 at the instigation of Albert the Prince Consort, and collections from the Government School of Design. The collection was soon expanded to include objects of all styles and periods, and the name was changed to Museum of Ornamental Art. In 1857 it was moved to its present site in South Kensington, to become part of the collective museum known as the South Kensington Museum.