The Accademia del Cimento was founded by Prince Leopoldo dei Medici and the Grand Duke Ferdinand II in 1657. The Academy wished to examine and test experimentally a number of tenets of the natural philosophy of Aristotle. The Academy was active erratically over a period of ten years and concluded its work in 1667 with the publication of the Saggi di Naturali Esperienze (Florence, 1667) which made available the main results that the Academy had reached. The Academy developed the experimental side of Galileian science.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library