Engraving by K Mackenzie after a painting by Carl Fredrik von Breda. Works owner Matthew Boulton (1728-1809) and the Scottish engineeer and inventor, James Watt (1736-1819) formed a partnership in 1773 to produce steam engines. Boulton's factory at Soho, near Birmingham, produced the first of the revolutionary steam engines designed by Watt. By the early 19th century over 500 Boulton and Watt engines were being used in Britain's mines and factories. Published by A Tilloch, 1 March 1803.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library