Porters at work, Paddington Station goods depot, London, May 1927.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Official Great Western Railway photograph showing porters transferring goods between road and rain vehicles in the transhipment area of the new goods depot at Paddington station. Paddington Station was the London terminus of the Great Western Railway (GWR), built to connect the capital with Bristol. The line to Bristol, which was engineered by Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859), was completed in 1841, and by the time of Brunel's death the railway extended as far as Penzance. As railway companies amalgamated in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the GWR took over lines in the West Midlands and South Wales, becoming one of the 'Big Four' railway companies in 1923.