Paddington Station goods depot, London, March 1938.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Official Great Western Railway photograph showing delivery lorries parked outside the goods depot. Paddington Station was the London terminus of the Great Western Railway (GWR), built to connect the capital with Bristol. The line to Bristol, which was engineered by Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859), was completed in 1841, and by the time of Brunel's death the railway extended as far as Penzance. As railway companies amalgamated in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the GWR took over lines in the West Midlands and South Wales, becoming one of the 'Big Four' railway companies in 1923.