This novel and controversial design originated on the Southern Railway before nationalisation. The exterior was painted to resemble brickwork with pseudo-half timbering and stucco. Incorporating a painted 'traditional' pub sign, (in this case, 'At the Sign of the White Horse'), the interior was a mock 'olde worlde' pub with artificial beams etc. The other half of the vehicle contained a first class dining saloon. The tavern cars were converted to conventional buffet cars in 1959 and 1960.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved