Harbour of Balaclava, the Cattle Pier, c 1855.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph by Roger Fenton (1819-1869). During the Crimean War (1853-1856), the British army used the inlet of Balaclava as its supply harbour. In 1855, Fenton was commissioned (with royal sanction) by the publisher Thomas Agnew to photograph the Crimean War. This was the first extensive documentation of a war, with over 350 images produced. However, some do not see Fenton as a true war photographer as he only took positive images of the war.