Dandy Cart No 1 at North British Railways' station, Port Carlisle, c 1910.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Built at Cowlairs Works the cart ran from Port Carlisle to Drumburgh, with Third Class passengers travelling on the outside of the vehicle. The service was the last horse-drawn railway in Britain and operated from 1898 until 1914, when the dandy cart was replaced by a steam locomotive. It is now preserved in the National Railway Museum.