Little Bertha was erected in a village just east of Villers Bretonneux, France, and was used to shell the town of Amiens. The Germans destroyed Little Bertha in their retreat in the autumn of 1918, about the time this picture was taken. Gustav Krupp (formerly Gustav von Bohlen und Halbach) inherited the Krupp empire after marrying Bertha Krupp, after whom the gun was named. He produced weapons for Germany in the war including Little Bertha and Big Bertha which was built for shelling Paris.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library