Photograph by James Jarche showing the galley on the Imperial Airways aeroplane 'Scylla'. Built by Shorts at Rochester, the 39-passenger 'Scylla' flew for the first time on 26 March 1934. Together with its sister aeroplane 'Syrinx' it was delivered to Croydon in June where it entered service almost immediately on the London to Paris route, setting new standards of comfort. Imperial Airways Limited was formed by the British government on 31 March 1924, after a government report recommended that Britain's interests in commercial air transport would be best served by merging the larger existing aircraft companies. The government's primary motivation for the merger was the need to carry mail throughout the empire.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library