Albumen print. Isambard Kingdom Brunel's (1803-1859) suspension pedestrian footbridge opened in 1845. It spanned the River Thames from The Embankment to Lambeth and linked London's West End with the South Bank. It was replaced in 1864 by a railway bridge with a pedestrian walkway, designed by John Hawkshaw.
© NMeM / Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library