The bridge, which opened in 1907, is seen here from the Haverton Hill side of the River Tees. It was built by the Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Company of Darlington. Transport across the river takes two and half minutes via the large moving platform or gondola which is suspended beneath the main span of the bridge. The platform is capable of carrying several hundred people or nine vehicles at a time, at a height of 160 feet above the river.
© Richard Bosomworth / Science & Society