Albumen print by an unknown photographer. The Pantheon is the most complete piece of Roman architecture left in the world. Built as a temple in about 126 AD, it was later consecrated as a Catholic church. The obelisk visible on the right was originaly erected in Heliopolis, Egypt, by the pharaoh Rameses II (1304-1237 BC). In 1711, Pope Clemens XI made it the centerpiece of an already existing fountain in the Piazza della Rotonda in front of the Pantheon.
© Victoria and Albert Museum, London