The romantic landscape of the Penllergare estate was created in the 1830s-1840s by John Dillwyn Llewelyn (1810-1882). Llewelyn had an orchid house on the estate and made some of the earliest botanical photographs. He was inspired by his wife's cousin, pioneering photographer Henry Fox Talbot, who visited Penllergare. From the albums of photographer and archaeologist Colonel E R Wood (1819-1876), which were assembled in 1868.
© Victoria and Albert Museum, London