The romantic landscape of the Penllergare estate was created in the 1830s-1840s by John Dillwyn Llewelyn (1810-1882). As well as landscape design and horticulture, Llewelyn's interests included scientific experiments and photography. He was inspired by his wife's cousin, pioneering photographer Henry Fox Talbot, who visited Penllergare. From the albums of photographer and archaeologist Colonel E R Wood (1819-1876), which were assembled in 1868.
© NMeM / Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library