Photograph by Frederick Henry Evans (1853-1943). The cathedral was first built in 1072 but has been altered and reconstructed many times since then. Rebuilding often meant that parts were incorporated into the new constuctions; the remains of the Norman west end were incorporated into the Gothic west front we see today. When the central tower collapsed in the 1230s it prompted another rebuilding of the east end. The Angel Choir was built as a shrine for St. Hugh Bishop of Lincoln. The high arches, fine, detailed carvings and huge expanses of stained glass to give an impression of light and richness we used.
© Victoria and Albert Museum, London