Ely has been a place of Christian worship since at least 673, when Etheldreda, daughter of the king of East Anglia, founded a nunnery there. There have been several buildings constructed and demolished on the site through the years and nothing survives of the original structure. The present structure was built after the Norman Conquest. In 1109 Ely became a cathedral as part of the Norman reforms of the English church.
© Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library