Photograph by Roger Fenton (1819-1869) of the Kremlin seen from the River Moskva. In the foreground, shallow-bottomed barges are being used for moving goods on the river. In the background is the Great Kremlin Palace, a fortified citadel that dates back to the twelfth century. In 1852 Roger Fenton accompanied his friend Charles Vignoles, an engineer, on a trip to Russia. Vignoles was building a suspension bridge across the River Dnieper. Fenton was at the beginning of his photographic career and returned with salted paper print views of Kiev, Moscow and St Petersburg. He was a founding member of the Royal Photographic Society and one of the most influential photographers of the 1850s. He is best known as one of the first war photographers, from his work in the Crimea in 1855.
© Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library