'The Upper Terrace, Harewood', c 1860.
© NMeM / Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library
The terrace at Harewood House near Leeds, one of a series of photographs by Roger Fenton (1819-1869) taken after the house had been greatly altered by the architect Sir Charles Barry (1795-1860). Begun in 1759 Harewood House was the grand residence for the Lascelles family, Earls of Harewood. Completed in 1771, it was designed by the architects John Carr (1723-1807) and Robert Adams (1730-1794), with grounds landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown (1715-1783). Fenton was a founding member of the Royal Photographic Society and one of the most influential photographers of the 1850s. He is best known as one of the first war photographers, from his work in the Crimea in 1855.