'Hyde Park Corner', c 1856.
© NMeM / Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph by Roger Fenton (1819-1869) of Hyde Park Corner in London. A group of men and boys stand near a cart in front of Apsley House, just visible on the left. In the background is the Hyde Park Corner Screen, designed by the architect Decimus Burton (1800-1881) in 1825. The large equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington was added in 1846, despite Burton's objections. The statue was later replaced, and the arch rebuilt at the head of Constitution Hill in 1883. Fenton was a founding member of the Royal Photographic Society and one of the most influential photographers of the 1850s. He is best known as one of the first war photographers, from his work in the Crimea in 1855.