'The Great Lavra Monastery from the North Side of the Dnieper, Kief', 1852.
© NMeM / Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph by Roger Fenton (1819-1869) of the River Dnieper or Dnepr at Kiev in Russia, (now in the Ukraine). Two small boats are beached on the bank in the foreground. On the far bank is the Pecherska Lavra Monastery, also known as the Monastery of the Caves. Founded in the eleventh century, it is the oldest monastery in Russia. In 1852 Roger Fenton accompanied his friend Charles Vignoles, an engineer, on a trip to Russia. Vignoles was building a suspension bridge across the Dnieper. Fenton was at the beginning of his photographic career and returned with salted-paper print views of Kiev, Moscow and St Petersburg. He was a founding member of the Royal Photographic Society and one of the most influential photographers of the 1850s. He is best known as one of the first war photographers, from his work in the Crimea in 1855.