Photograph by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe (1853-1941). The East Cliff with St Mary's Church can be seen in the distance. Sutcliffe is best known for his naturalistic and spontaneous style of photography, especially his portrayals of Whitby's fishing community. He was a founder member of The Linked Ring Brotherhood and was made an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society in 1941.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library