Photograph by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe (1853-1941) of a large crowd gathered in the graveyard of St Mary's Church on the East Cliff at Whitby, North Yorkshire. The cross was erected on 21September 1898 to commemorate Caedmon, the first English poet. This photograph may have been taken on the day the cross was erected. The Cross is carved from Northumbrian sandstone in a Celtic design with figures of Christ, David, Abbess Hilda and Caedmon engraved on it. Sutcliffe is best known for his naturalistic and spontaneous style of photography, especially his portrayals of Whitby's fishing community. He was a founder member of The Linked Ring Brotherhood and was made an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society in 1941.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library