Club cars were provided for the exclusive use of regular business travellers on certain routes. This comfortable first class carriage was for commuters who regularly travelled from towns in Northumbria or Yorkshire to their jobs in cities such as Leeds or Newcastle. They paid for a first class season ticket and had carriages like this one for themselves. These cars were first used in 1895 on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved