Photograph of the terrace and grounds of Harewood House near Leeds, taken by Roger Fenton (1819-1869). This photograph is one of a series taken by Fenton after the house had been greatly altered by the architect Sir Charles Barry (1795-1860). The family group on the terrace could be Lascelles family themselves, enjoying the view of the lakes and grounds from their brand new terrace. Begun in 1759, Harewood House was the grand residence for the Lascelles family, Earls of Harewood. Completed in 1771, it was designed by the architects John Carr (1723-1807) and Robert Adams (1730-1794), with grounds landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown (1715-1783). Roger Fenton was a founding member of the Royal Photographic Society and one of the most influential photographers of the 1850s.
© Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library