An engraving by Salathe from an original daguerreotype of a ruined temple at Paestum, Italy, by Parisian optician N P Lerebours. Paestum was a Greek colony founded in Southern Italy during the 6th centruy BC. The ruins feature temples to Poseidon and Ceres and the basilica, actually a temple to Hera, were built between 530 and 460 BC. The ruins were rediscovered in the 1750s, chiefly by the antiquary Johann Joachim Winckelmann. The ruins, together with those at Herculaneum and Pompeii, sparked an interest in Classical art and architecture during the 18th century. Illustration from 'Excursions daguerriennes, reprEsentant les vues et les monuments les plus remarquables du globe' (Daguerreian Travels, representing the most remarkable views and monuments in the world), (Paris, 1841-1844).
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library