An engraving by Martens, based on an original daguerreotype of the Parthenon, Athens, by Parisian optician N P Lerebours. The Parthenon was Athens' great temple to the goddess Athena, built on the Acropolis between 477 and 438 BC. A masterpiece of Classical architecture, the building survived in use first as a church and then as a mosque. In 1687 it was used as a powder magazine and was badly damaged in an explosion. In the first decade of the nineteenth century Lord Elgin removed a great deal of the sculpture from the ruin and shipped it to the British Museum. Illustration from 'Excursions daguerriennes, reprEsentant les vues et les monuments les plus remarquables du globe' (Daguerreian Travels, representing the most remarkable views and monuments in the world), (Paris, 1841-1844).
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library