Stockton & Darlington Railway carriage, 1875.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Composite coach, with First and Second Class compartments, number 59, photographed in front of Soho House, Shildon, County Durham. This coach was built in 1845 and ran on the Stockton & Darlington Railway. It was photographed to mark the Golden Jubilee of the Railway. The Stockton & Darlington was the first public railway to use steam locomotives to haul passengers and goods. Its lines in the North East of England covered less than 30 miles and were mainly used to transport heavy minerals, particularly coal. Soho House was the home of Timothy Hackworth, railway engineer, from c 1830-1850. The carriage is now part of the National Railway Museum collection.