People at South Queensferry, by the Forth Bridge, by G W Tripp. The Forth Bridge, over the Firth of Forth, north of Edinburgh, was built between 1883 and 1890. Before the bridge was built passengers were transported over the Firth of Forth by ferry. The building of the bridge meant that those people travelling north from Edinburgh got there much more quickly. However, people could still get a ferry over the Firth of Forth, until the Forth Road bridge opened in 1964.
©National Railway Museum/ Science & Society Picture Library