Viaduct over the River Nidd at Knaresborough, drawn by Mrs W F Faviell and lithographed by John Cooke Bourne. Thomas Grainger and John Bourne were the engineers. The length of the viaduct was 448 feet; height, 104 feet, and the span of the arches was 50 feet. The Leeds & Thirsk Railway was authorised in 1845, to serve Harrogate. It later became the Leeds Northern Railway. This viaduct collapsed shortly after it was built, and a replacement structure was built. It was described by Nikolaus Pevsner as being 'one of the most notable railway crimes of England', as it was thought to spoil the beauty of the town.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved