Depot on the Lambton Railway, Tyne and Wear, by Selwyn Pearce-Higgins. The photograph is taken next to some signalling equipment, built by McKenzie and Holland at the Vulcan foundry, Worcester. Lambton Railway was built in 1737. Wagons were pulled along rails by horses, between Fatfield and Cox Green. During the early 19th century the railway expanded and linked to other railways. They were used to carry coal in this heavily mined area of Britain. In the 1950s coal mines were starting to close in the North East of England. The Lambton Railway finally closed in 1967, Lambton Colliery having closed 2 years earlier.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved