Irish Mail at Holyhead, 1931.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
The "Irish Mail", pulled by a Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 locomotive number 6160 "The Queen Victoria's Rifleman" at Holyhead station, Anglesey, 1931. Holyhead station is next to the quay, making it easy for passengers and freight to be transferred from a train to a ferry. The Irish Mail is the oldest named train in the world and has been running since 1848. It runs between London Euston and Holyhead where it connects to a ferry which takes the mail to Dublin. The train also carried passengers wishing to travel from London to Dublin.