0-4-4-0T locomotive 'Taleilin' on the Ffestiniog Railway, by J G Click. This double locomotive was a Fairlie locomotive, after a design by Robert Fairlie. It was articulated and was used to pull heavy loads along narrow gauge railways. The locomotives were first used to run along the Neath and Brecon Railway. The railway at Blaenau Ffestiniog opened in 1836, to carry slate to the port of Portmadog. This helped the local economy as the town was able to sell its slate all over Britain. The slate industry reached a peak in the 1890s but by this time this photograph was taken was going into decline. The railway closed to slate traffic in 1946, but opened again to passengers in the 1950s.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved