Settle to Carlisle Railway at Garsdale, 1994.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Train approaching Garsdale Station, North Yorkshire, by Chris Hogg, 1994. The train has just crossed Dandry Mire Viaduct. This station is on the Settle to Carlisle Railway. It was the only station on the line with a signal box, as the station was on the junction for the Wensleydale line to Hawes. The station, originally called Hawes Junction, was opened in 1876. It was renamed Garsdale in 1932. The station is still in use, although it is less heavily used than 100 years ago.