0-6-0T locomotive Joem with a passenger train, by Chris Hogg, 1980. This was the last steam locomotive to run on the Derwent Valley Light Railway, in 1979. The trip was run by the Friends of the National Railway Museum. The DVLR stretched from Layerthorpe in York, to Cliffe Common. It was used to transport goods to market, as farmers in the East Riding of Yorkshire had no way of getting to markets in York or Selby. It opened in 1913, to passenger and goods traffic. It closed in 1981.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved