St Pancras Station sign, 1993.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
St Pancras station sign, by Chris Hogg, 24 May 1993. The station was built as a terminus for the Midland Railway's line to London. It was designed by the company's consulting engineer, William Barlow. He built a single span arched roof from iron and glass, the largest in Britain, and at this time the largest in the world. It opened on 1 October 1868.