Departure platform at St Pancras Station, London, 1868.
©National Railway Museum/ Science & Society Picture Library
At this time the station had just been completed, and formed the London terminus for the Midland Railway. The station was designed by William Barlow. He built a single-span arched roof from iron and glass, the largest in Britain, and at this time the largest in the world.