York station, taken from the city's walls, 1868. This station was closed in 1877 as it was too small, and a new station was built about 200 metres down the road, designed by G T Andrews. York got its first station in 1839, which was on the York & North Midland Railway. In 1840 York was linked to London via Derby. The line was owned by George Hudson.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved