An A4 class 4-6-2 locomotive number 4496 "Golden Shuttle" at King's Cross station, by F E Box, 16 June 1938. This locomotive was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley and built at Doncaster works. It was renamed "Dwight D Eisenhower" in 1945, when the American President helped Britain to victory in the Second World War. The locomotive is now on display in a museum in Wisconsin.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved