The construction of the new main line station building at Victoria Terminus, Bombay, (now Mumbai). The scaffolding is made of wood rather than metal. This station was the terminus for the Great Indian Peninsula Railway (GIPR) which opened in 1853, from Bombay to Thane. It expanded quickly and by 1870 stretched all the way across India to Calcutta.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved