Junior officers' bungalow, 'up country'. The house, used by officers on the Great Indian Peninsula Railway (GIPR), was built when the British were in control of India and so the architecture is very similar to British houses, apart from the addition of verandahs to take advantage of any breeze in the hot climate. The GIPR was opened in 1853, from Bombay to Thane. It expanded quickly and by 1870 stretched all the way across India to Calcutta.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved