This station was the headquarters and terminus for the Great Indian Peninsula Railway at Bombay, (now Mumbai). The station, built in 1887 for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, is a mixture of Gothic and Islamic architectural styles. It is one of the grandest station buildings in India. The GIPR was opened in 1853, from Bombay to Thane. It expanded quickly and by 1870 stretched all the way across India to Calcutta.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved