The opening of Stalbridge dock, 1909
©National Railway Museum/ Science & Society Picture Library
Garston docks' Stalbridge dock, on its opening day, 1909. Garston docks were owned by the London & North Western Railway. By the start of the 20th century the company was shipping over 1 million tonnes of coal every year, and importing a variety of goods including fruit, minerals, iron and timber.